Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Rhydian's Birth Story

Life got super crazy after my last update.  I had another hospital stay because baby boy was having heart decelerations. This almost resulted in an emergency c-section at 34 weeks. Fortunately things calmed down and we were able to go home after 5 days. But it was a crazy & scary ride!

Baby boy was super stubborn after that! Even though I was dilated and 100% effaced, I almost ended up having to be induced. At my last appointment before my induction, Dr. M. stripped my membranes and it worked! Little Mr. entered the world early the next morning at 38w4d! It was my longest pregnancy and only 3 days before his scheduled induction.

Rhydian James Hernandez was born on September 14, 2016 at 6:36 am weighing 7lb 2oz and 18.25 inches long.


It was a fast and furious labor. At my appointment in the morning I was already 4 cm dilated, so after Dr. M stripped my membranes, I started contracting immediately and never stopped. All afternoon and evening I was contracting, but I did not want to be sent home for going into the hospital too early. So after Jorge got home from work, I made him take me for a walk. After that we put the kids to bed and I started cleaning the house. I figured it worked to help distract me while I labored with Emmett, so it was worth a shot!

About 11pm I decided to go to bed, but never was able to fall asleep. My contractions hurt so much, but were still about 7-10 minutes apart, so I was getting frustrated! About 1am I woke Jorge up because I couldn't handle the pain anymore. By the time my friend arrived to stay with the kids and we got in the car my contractions were 2 minutes apart and I thought I was dying! Jorge was so panicked because the hospital I needed to deliver at was 45 minutes away.

We ended up getting to the hospital about an hour and 15 minutes later because, unbeknownst to us, they were doing overnight construction and the exit we needed to take to the hospital was blocked. I was trying to look up alternate directions in between contractions and Jorge was freaking out he'd have to pull over and deliver the baby on the side of the road himself. We finally got to the hospital and they took one look at me (they may have also heard screams during contractions...) and they admitted me right away. I was already 6.5 cm dilated and SO grateful for the epidural!

During my appointment that morning (technically the morning before) Dr. M had been joking if I could just be in labor and ready to push between 6 and 7 in the morning he could come over from his office before he started seeing patients and deliver the baby. Since he is a Perinatologist he does the occasional c-section, but not regular deliveries. We kinda laughed about it and I shrugged it off. But we ended up being admitted about 3am and around 6:15am I was ready to push. So I called Dr. M and he came! It was awesome!

Right before Dr. M arrived one of the residents wanted to check my cervix to make sure I was ready and she popped my water...all over her face! It was disgusting and awesome at the same time. I'm pretty sure she only thought it was disgusting though... She stepped out of the room to go clean up and Dr. M arrived right after. Everyone was so confused since he doesn't do deliveries. They had gotten all the supplies set out and ready for the on-call Dr to deliver and were getting ready to break down the bed. Dr M he said he only needed a gown and gloves and we'd deliver old school mid-wife style.

One push and Rhydian was born. But he wasn't crying. I kept asking why he wasn't crying and Dr. M was clearly trying to distract me while he handed the baby to the nurses. He was showing us the placenta and talking about how awesome and thick the umbilical cord was. The nurses finally got the baby to cry and I was able to relax. Come to find out, he had the cord wrapped around his body twice and his neck 3 times! Dr. M said that was likely why he was having those heart decelerations and also why I didn't deliver any earlier. The cord had basically anchored him in! So blessings in disguise, I guess?!? We were able to go home the next day.

left - on our way home; top right - day before I delivered; bottom right - baby's first photo

Nursing has been rough with Rhydian. He was also tongue tied (like Emmett) and had to have his tongue clipped. We are working on trying to get him latched properly. But he's a super sweet baby and the perfect caboose to our little family. Everyone loves him!

I am so excited to move on from the birthing babies part of my life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment