Saturday, March 5, 2016

Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG) Update

It's been a while. It's mostly the same old stuff. The first trimester just draaaags on forever because I am so sick. My days consist of me trying to keep food and liquid down, taking meds, vomiting and lots of lying around (in bed, on the bathroom floor, wherever my kids are in the house so I can keep an eye on them) because I am sooooo exhausted. And I can't forget about the weekly Dr appointment to check weight and hydration and viability. Now that I have 3 other kids, I do lots of reminding kids to do chores and homework. It's mostly from wherever I happen to be lying at the moment (in bed, on the bathroom floor, wherever my kids are in the house so I can keep an eye on them). My poor kids.

But in good news, I have had amazing luck with medications this time around! I volunteer with the HER Foundation (when I'm not suffering from hyperemesis myself), and there is an online support group I am a part of. The ladies there had some amazing suggestions for new medications. And fortunately for me, Dr. M is still my Perinatologist and he did the research and filled out all the paperwork to get me the new meds. I AM FUNCTIONAL! 

The first new med is called Kytril (in case there any HG mamas out there looking for help). I have it in a transdermal patch (called Sancuso). It goes on my upper arm. I change the patch once per week as it gives a continuous dose of medication. Its a category B drug in pregnancy which means there are no known risks to baby. (As always, consult your Dr for medical advice or before trying any medication.)

Photo from the Kytril prescribing pamphlet found here

The second new med is Diclegis. Yes, it is the same Medication that Kim Kardashian got in trouble for promoting on Twitter (only because she didn't properly display the FDA information, mind you). Its basically unisom & b6, but it is in a delayed release pill. It works way better than just unisom/b6. Which is good because it is stinking expensive! Over $200 for 120 pills! And I take 4 pills per day! (As always, consult your Dr for medical advice or before trying any medication.)

Photo from the Diclegis website found here

(By the way, If you ARE an HG Mom taking or looking into taking Diclegis, there are coupons to make it less expensive. Just google it. My particular insurance doesn't take a coupon. And we just use our HSA to cover it anyway.)

Paying the money for meds is still way cheaper than paying for a week long hospital stay - which is where I was heading at this point in my pregnancy with Emmett. I'm also taking a heartburn medication. Which most women say, but I'm vomiting! Its not heartburn! You'd be surprised how much difference a heartburn med makes. Seriously!

So let me tell you how much of a difference these meds make... Kytril has been my saving grace. I went from vomiting 10-15 times per day. I vomited literally anytime I tried to put food or fluids of any kind into my mouth. I lost 7 lbs in 5 days. I was severely dehydrated. So much so that after 3 different nurses attempted to get an iv line started they gave up and sent me to the ER where they could call in the Anesthesiologist to start my iv. 

Now I can eat a few high calorie foods and they stay down *most* of the time. I am drinking around 30-50 oz of fluids per day - its sparkling water of various flavors. I have a huge aversion to plain water still. But its fluids! 

I still vomit several times a week. Ugh. Tuna was NOT my friend last week and this week a cheese quesadilla was the enemy. And all sweets are totally off limits. So for me, the pregnancy cravings aren't worth it. I feel pretty nauseated ALL the time, and exhaustion, constipation, headaches, etc... make it worse. But I'm suspecting I'm having more of a "normal"  morning sickness experience this time around (heavily medicated mind you). But, I wouldn't know for sure. Its never happened that way for me before.

So basically I am surviving! And I'm 11 weeks today! I got to see baby on Thursday. I would have to say the only perk of being high risk is that I get to see baby every week. And every week I cry when I see that glorious heartbeat. Having so many losses makes ultrasounds traumatizing. I cry from relief and from joy! Jorge got to come with me this week which made it even sweeter. It was the first time he got to see baby in real time. 

Oh! And Monday is Jorge's birthday! And I can't wait until he sees his birthday present! I have been hiding it for weeks. For now, here is a photo of my ginormously stretched out uterus/belly for you all to enjoy. Haha! Please ignore my dirty mirror and bedroom. Like I said, I've been doing lots of lying around...

11 weeks

***I'm not a doctor. I am not offering medical advice or advocating any prescription medications. I am simply telling what I have been using to treat my Hyperemesis Gravidarum. Please consult your own Dr for advice and treatment for your specific situation.***


No comments:

Post a Comment