Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Lydia's Happy Angel Birthday

**I realized today I never posted this. The original publish date was to be March 19, 2014**


After we lost Lydia, my girls had a really hard time coping the first few weeks. Just as we all did. I was really struggling to figure out what to do to help them cope. The genetics counselor suggested reading children's books as a family about pregnancy loss to help them understand on a level that they could. I found and subsequently ordered the book Something Happened by Cathy Blanford. We loved that it was very informative and validated the feelings of loss children would experience.

Yet, being LDS, we also wanted some way to help the girls remember that families are forever. We talked a lot about it, but my youngest kept asking if families are forever why can't she be here with us now? My oldest daughter repeated to her little sister the simple words of faith that she told me the day we learned Lydia had died. She said, "Jesus is holding our baby now. He's taking care of her." My youngest seemed satisfied with that answer. After hearing about that conversation, a friend directed me to this lovely sketch of Jesus holding an infant. I ordered it immediately and it has been proudly displayed on my mantle ever since.

My girls get so much comfort seeing Jesus holding "our" baby.  They concluded if Jesus is holding her, she must be an angel now. As such, March 13 is the anniversary of Lydia's birth/death.  My girls refer to that day as her "Angel Birthday" and so the name stuck. We celebrated Lydia's Angel Birthday this year much like we would have any other birthday. With a few awesome tweaks. We had a great day! It was a day that could've been sad, but it wasn't. It was a beautiful day to remember Lydia and our Forever Family.


The girls colored a lovely birthday banner.


Happy Angel Birthday!


We ate yummy cupcakes. Everyone got to pick what kind they wanted. We sang and blew out the candles. But instead of singing Happy Birthday, we sang Families Can Be Together Forever


We laughed and talked about how much we love each other & Lydia and the new baby. It was a great day to remember that families are indeed together forever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment