Friday, August 17, 2012

30 Things You Didn't Know About Me On My 30th Birthday

photo via

1. My real birthday is tomorrow.
2. I've never ever tried smoking, alcohol or any illegal drugs. EVER. Just was never appealing to me.
3. I started college the week I turned 17. I graduated high school a year early but everyone in my class thought I'd run off and gotten pregnant. (See #21!)
4. I don't like reading books or watching movies more than once.
5. I have 2 toenails on each of my pinkie toes Gross, I know! I inherited that from my paternal grandmother. I always get harassed about it when I'm getting a pedicure.
6. I have moved 7 times in the 5 1/2 years we've been married. Mostly it was just to different apartments, but we have lived in 3 different cities too.
7. I played the clarinet and was in the marching band in high school.
8. I took a ballet class in college for a PE credit.
9.  I passed out at about mile 12 during the first marathon I attempted to run. I woke up in an ambulance.
10. I come from a family with 4 boys and 3 girls (including me!) and we all have red hair. Seriously! We're like the real-life Weasley family. Except without the magic.
11. I was in a gifted & talented program in elementary school. I was bussed out to another school one day a week from 4th - 6th grade.
12. I once won an invention contest with my Soap Grabber. It was a tomato stake (for a handle) attached to a fishing net (for a scoop). It was so you didn't have to bend over too far if you dropped the soap in the shower. I think they just liked that the pitch was geared towards "saving the backs of the elderly". Funny, huh? I think I was 8.
13. I can't stand scallops or calamari, but I love sushi. Unagi is my favorite.
14. I don't like drinking plain water. I prefer flavored water or Crystal Light. I hardly ever drink soda.
15. I'm allergic to chocolate. I get migraines and hives if I eat it.
16. I do not like shopping. I don't mind grocery shopping, but any other kind, I detest.
17. I am not a morning person. I do not like to be awake before about 8am. Too bad all that sleeping in ended once I had kids. Why is it that most kids I know wake up before the sun? UGH.
18. The 2 things I hate the most in life are vomiting and waking up in the middle of the night to pee. Pregnancy and I really just weren't meant to be friends.
19. When I was pregnant with my first daughter, I was in a graduate program to earn my elementary teaching certificate. I ended up on bed rest by 29 weeks. Instead of giving me incompletes, my sweet professors let me do independent study and finish my student teaching in the fall after my daughter was born. In fact, one professor came to my apartment on a weekly basis to give me that week's lecture. We lived in a studio apartment then, so imagine me hanging out in bed while my professor gave me the lecture. She was such a sweet lady! She even brought me daffodils after my daughter was born. I loved the program. :)
20. We wanted 6 or 7 kids. Too bad nature had other plans. :(
21. I didn't have my first kiss until I was 22.
22. I hatched a chick from an incubator in my 3rd grade science class and we got to take it home. It died a few months later despite our best efforts. My dad got a little obsessed figuring out what happened and next thing we knew, we were running a full-fledged poultry farm.
23. I'm an Army brat, although my dad got out when I was about 6 or so. 3 of my 4 older siblings were born while my dad was stationed in Germany.
24. When I was a little girl I wanted to be a nun when I grew up. But I was never Catholic.
25. I was a Resident Assistant in college. My friend Raylynn and I would get in trouble from the other RA's for being too loud at night. Oops!
26. I don't like sleeping by myself. Whenever my husband is out of town for work (which is fairly frequently) I usually stay up super late watching TV until I'm exhausted and then go to bed. I'm too tired to think about the fact that I'm alone.
27. I moved to California to follow a boy. A month after I moved here, we broke up. I met my husband about 18 months later.
28. My husband and I got engaged after 6 weeks of dating. We were engaged for only 8 months when we got married. Crazy? Maybe. But it was the best decision I ever made. :)
29. I got Mono 6 weeks after we got married. I had to work from home for the next 3 months. We never found out how I got it - my husband never got sick, and I wasn't kissing anyone else!
30. My favorite cake is lemon with lemon frosting. Although the past few birthdays I've rather enjoyed ice cream cake. But it's hard to find one without chocolate (see #15).

No comments:

Post a Comment