Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Miracles of Vinegar



We have this couch that we bought when I was pregnant with C. We ordered it from a catalog. We were so proud of it because it was our first "large" purchase as a married couple. We spent weeks in anticipation of the arrival of our new couch. When it arrived, it was nothing like we imagined. It was smaller than we thought it would be, the fabric was like a fake suede (even though the description said "microfiber") and the color was TERRIBLE! We thought we were getting a blueish color couch. It was green. But not just any green - a terrible sea foam green. Don't get me wrong, I love that color for weddings or a cute shirt, but for a couch? It's awful. And we couldn't take it back. It was on clearance from the catalog and all sales were final. I guess that's what we get for being so cheap.

So, fast forward  several years and the upholstery is dirty. It now has a dark brownish tinge to it and I can't find anything safe to clean it. Then we're potty training and my daughter had an accident on the couch. UGH! I called my mom freaking out a bit. She tells me, "Well, vinegar will get the urine smell out, but you might have a permanent spot." Whatever. The couch is ugly and thrashed anyway, but at least it won't smell.

I proceeded to mix the water (3 cups) with the vinegar (2 tablespoons) and clean up the mess. But to my amazement, something very interesting happens. The vinegar not only takes the icky smell away, but it removes the grime! Awesome! I cleaned the entire couch! It was a beautiful moment! So, even though my couch is still so ugly, at least it's clean now!!!

For more information about the miracles of vinegar, check out a few of these articles:

http://www.thenewhomemaker.com/vinegar

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/homemaking/vinegar.html

http://www.rd.com/home/150-household-uses-for-vinegar/

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment