Monday, April 9, 2012

What's in a Name?


When I was in elementary school, I wanted to be named Tommie. I thought it would be so cool to be a girl with a boy's name. No one I knew was named Emma. Now I like my name, then, I wanted a different name. I couldn't believe my parents named me something so old fashioned. My mom had this old dictionary that had a section in it that told the origins and meaning of names. In that book it said Emma meant grandma. My older brothers spent literally years tormenting me about my name. UGH. Too bad I wasn't born in 2005 when it was the top name for little girls. I would've been so in. 

Today happens to be Name Yourself Day. I found some interesting lists about popular names in case you would like to re-name yourself today. Here are a sampling and the links if you want to find out more info.

In 1880 the top boys name was John and top girls name was Mary. In 1910 the top boys and girls names were still John and Mary. In 1940 the top boys name changed to James and the girls name was still Mary. Pretty consistent, right? But check this out, by 1950, the top names were James and Linda, and by 1980, the top names were Michael and Jennifer. In 2010, the top names were Sophia and Aiden. Pretty interesting, right? I find it interesting that the trend for so long was super traditional names, and that trend spanned generations. But in the last 30 years or so, the trend it to name children uniquely.

What would you name yourself if you could? Or what are your favorite names? Please share by leaving a comment.

Happy Monday!



1 comment:

  1. When I was younger I didn't like my name either. A nickname my parents gave me stuck longer than expected. I changed it back to Francesca once I went to college. Now I love my name. It's old-fashioned but sophisticated and unique (in America, anyway).

    ReplyDelete