Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I have a confession - I'm cheap.

photo via


As I was putting clothes away last night my husband was commenting how ratty my socks were looking and I realized, I've owned them longer than we've been married. Gross, right? I was just raised with the old adage "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." If they don't have holes, they're fine, and if they do have holes, stitch it up. Does this make me cheap? Maybe.

Here's another confession of my cheap-ness. I will look at something for weeks until I see it go on clearance. And I'm not taking about clearance at like Chanel or Versace. No, I'm talking about clearance at Target. I will literally stake the item out until the price drops at least 50% before I'll buy it. It drives my husband nuts. "Just buy it!" he always tells me. "You never spend money on yourself and you need shoes (or clothes, etc..). Just get it" But I don't. I'll spend money on food or my kids long before I'll spend money on myself.

Why? I've been pondering that recently.

I think it's because I have so many other priorities right now. My kids need new shoes and dresses. They literally can't fit into theirs anymore. We need to eat. I don't need another pair of strappy sandals - even if they are absolutely adorable and would match my favorite black formal dress. I mean, do I have any where to wear that favorite dress anymore? I certainly can't wear it to the park. And I'd probably look really silly and out of place dressed to the nines sitting in the pediatrician's office.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone who likes to dress up and look nice. I have several friends, all stay at home moms, who will not leave the house without makeup. But I don't think there's anything wrong with not putting on makeup before you leave the house either. As long as you still feel good about yourself.

And that's where I'm at today. I am sitting here thinking about how I feel frumpy. I tell myself I do have other priorities (be a good wife, raise 2 kids, run a business, etc..) but I don't like how I feel about my image. Have I turned into a frumpy, let myself go, stay at home mom? Ugh. I hope not. Maybe I'm really just cheap.

So, I'm on a quest these next few months. I'm turning 30 *gasp* in August, and I want to re-invent myself. I want to help me like my own image. And first things first - I'm going to cut my hair! Check back soon to see the "new me".

What are some things you've done to help yourself have a positive self image recently?

1 comment:

  1. My husband is a huge blessing in the positive self-image department. :)

    ReplyDelete